Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day 2011


Adam and I have a running deal. We don't buy anything for each other on this holiday. It's totally generic to say, but we love each other everyday. (not. just. Valentine's.) And, we're pretty thoughtful about remembering just happys (as I call them) to surprise the significant other with something that says a quick 'I love you.'
This particular Valentine's day, we both had very little time to prepare ANYTHING. I did have one goal: to make a chocolate cake. I'm not a big baker, but Adam loves chocolate, and I wanted to try something simple but elegant. I also hinted to Adam that a nice dinner would be just wonderful for us to celebrate the holiday. I got my wish!

Adam prepared Crusted Salmon with Honey Mustard Sauce, Steamed Asparagus, and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I made this cake:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute with whole wheat flour)
1 cup white or brown sugar

3 tablespoons sifted good quality cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
5 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Make three deep holes in the dry mixture. Into one hole, po
ur the oil, into the next hole, pour the vinegar, and into the final hole, pour the vanilla.

2. Pour the water into the bowl, over all. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until there aren't any more lumps and pour into an ungreased 9x9 baking pan, 2 inches deep.

3. Bake for about 30 minutes, test with a fork.

I also made a mocha icing:

1/2 small heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa (I used dutch cocoa)

I beat the whipping cream til stiff peaked.
Add the other two ingredients.... VIOLA!

No comments: