Thursday, July 25, 2013

Something that hasn't stopped

Yeah, I'm still  cooking in a hotel room. Did you all forget? Well, I haven't. I've been planning meals for a while now. And, that also should include camping meals too... that's without regular cooking accoutrements.

But, we have less that what we had in SD, WY, and ND. We only have an electric skillet and microwave. I used the crockpot a lot before, but this trip after we had a week in St. Louis at the beginning of July. I left it at home. That's okay. I will use it when I get home. And, I'll probably take it again when we know our next schedule.

So, Here's a quick list of some of the meals I've made in the hotel. I made those oreo truffles, yes.  I also made:
Celery and Garbanzo Bean salad (with currants and pecans)
Stir fry with brocolli, water chestnuts, scallions, and carrots.
Honey Mustard Pork Tenderloin
Roasted Carrot, Zucchini, and Squash Pasta with Garbanzo Beans
Gnocchi with peas, baby bella mushrooms, and shrimp
Italian Chicken with Rattlesnake pasta (Tricolor peppers and a homemade alfredo sauce)
Chicken Salad with Grapes, Cucumber, and Pecans
Tonight, we're having Tacos.
Tomorrow, we're having StirFry with Pork. I might even make them lettuce wraps.

Here's what we did camping:
(this is not my forte)

Oatmeal for breakfast with all kinds of toppings (currants, raisins, pecans.)
Pita with feta, honey, grapes and nuts (breakfast)
Apple, Carmelized onions, and Sharp Cheddar Cheese Quesadillas
Kebabs with veggies and beef (these are the ones that were chewy.)
Pork Tenderloin on the BBQ
Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary Foil Pack
Salads with any fresh veggies we had
Cowboy Grillers from MN (which were chicken breasts wrapped with bacon, filled with Ham n Cheese)

So, I still make most of the meals. We pack out lunches most days. For the Ragbrai Concert event, I made a picnic dinner with the chicken salad I mentioned. I bought a wheel of Farmer's cheese, crackers, and some cut veggies and fresh fruit. It was delicious sitting out on the grass.

I feel somewhat accomplished when I think about what I've prepared in a electric skillet. That's pretty sweet! At least we're eating healthy, whole foods...

No comments: